If you’re anything like me, you love spicy-sweet concoctions. Kung Pao Chicken, Honey Chipotle Boneless Wings, and these Spicy Apple Glazed Meatballs.
My students made these for a lab this week and I was blown away by the amount of flavor packed into each little bite. They were sweet and flavorful, but kicked it up a bit in the end. I cheated a bit and used pre-made frozen meatballs since the kiddos only have 45 minutes to cook in my class. I highly suggest trying the recipe both ways. I’ll post the easy/under-30-minute version here though since I know many of you prefer quick-and-easy weeknight dinners!
Spicy Apple Glazed Meatballs (modified from Better Homes and Gardens)
– One pack frozen meatballs, thawed
– 1 cup apple juice (100% juice works best!)
– 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
– 3 Tablespoons packed brown sugar
– 1.5 teaspoons cornstarch
– 1 teaspoon ground ginger
– 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
– 6 green onions, sliced thin (for garnish)
1. In a small saucepan, whisk together all ingredients except for meatballs and green onions.
2. Place saucepan on medium-high heat and bring to a full boil, stirring constantly until thickened.
3. Cook 2 more minutes on medium-low, then add meatballs to sauce. Stir and coat meatballs until heated through.
4. Place on serving platter and garnish with green onions.
Try it out and let me know what you think!