Being sick as a dog, I wanted to make myself the best soothing recipe I could find. When I stumbled upon this recipe, I fell in love. I had great aspirations to get to work until I took Atlas out on a 15 minute walk, in the Florida humidity, then came back inside and fell asleep for 3 hours…whoops! So my chicken noodle soup that I’m eating out of a red solo cup consists of canned chicken broth with egg noodles…
But how I see it is that I can’t really taste anything right now anyways, so why waste the effort on a delicious pot of the homemade stuff with hand-made noodles (swoon!!!), when I can shortcut it today and make some in the future to freeze for the next time I’m craving Chicken Noodle Soup or get sick! Win, Win, right?!
P.S. I’m totally obsessed with putting Club Multi-grain Minis in my soup…YUM!
So without further ado, here is your recipe of the week…try making it ahead of time so you won’t have to suffer without, like me!
FOR THE NOODLES:
- 2½ cups All Purpose Flour
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 1 Tbs. Butter, softened
- ½ cup Milk
FOR THE SOUP:
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2-4 carrots, diced
- 2-3 ribs celery, diced
- 1 Tbs. dried Parsley
- 1½ – 2 cups cooked shredded or diced chicken
- 6-10 cups chicken stock, or to your liking
- FOR THE NOODLES:
- Mix salt and flour together.
- Add the eggs, butter and milk.
- Knead for about 5 minutes or until smooth. You can use your stand mixer or bread machine on “Pizza Dough” cycle to do the work for you.
- Roll out dough as thin as you can (1/8″ thickness is ideal).
- Once dough is at desired thickness, roll it into a log.
- Slice the log to make uniform noodles, ⅛-1/4″ wide.
- Make sure all noodles are unrolled and allow to air dry thoroughly before cooking. Use a cookie rack for quicker drying time.
- FOR THE SOUP:
- Combine all ingredients in a stockpot.
- Cook on low for 1-3 hours. Noodles should be soft and tender.