I’m excited to say that at this time next week I will be able to make and take pictures of my Recipe of the Week recipe!!! I cannot tell you all enough how excited I am to cook again! I never thought I’d appreciate a spatula so much! 🙂
To commemorate this momentous occasion, I’ll be giving you all Jeff and I’s recipe for our infamous lasagna! It’s a combination of both of our mothers’ recipes and it’s a favorite of ours when we entertain. Try it out and let me know what you think!
The VC’s Lasagna
Makes 8 servings
- 1 lb. 90% or better lean ground beef
- 1 lb. spicy Italian sausage
- 2 jars Basil & Tomato pasta sauce (reserve 1 cup)
- 2 boxes lasagna noodles, cooked, drained, and held in cool water
- 2 lbs. part-skim ricotta cheese
- 3-4 eggs
- 1 Tbsp. dried basil
- 1 Tbsp. dried parsley
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 2 bags finely shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a medium frying pan, brown beef and sausage together until cooked through. Drain off fat. Add in the pasta sauce, reserving 1 cup.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese, eggs, basil, parsley, oregano, salt, and one bag of mozzarella cheese. Mix well.
- Spray a 9×13 glass pan with non-stick spray or cover with Reynolds cooking foil (one side is parchment!)
- Begin by spooning 1/4 cup of the reserved sauce onto the bottom of the pan. Spread evenly.
- Layer lasagna noodles onto sauce until the bottom of the pan is covered.
- Spoon on 1/4 of the cheese mixture and spread evenly.
- Spoon on 1/3 of the meat mixture and spread evenly.
- Layer lasagna noodles on top of the meat mixture evenly.
- Repeat steps 7-9 until all ingredients are used and noodles are on top.
- Pour remaining pasta sauce onto top layer of noodles and spread evenly.
- Top with remaining bag of mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle Parmesan onto mozzarella layer. This prevents the mozzarella from sticking to the foil during baking.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake another 15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and golden.
- Cut into 8 pieces and enjoy!
- Sub in ground turkey for the beef
- Use sweet Italian sausage
- Your favorite pasta sauce will work
- Use Barilla’s no-cook lasagna noodles