The recipe this week is the perfect Sunday dinner. Warm, savory, crisp, and buttery, this whole roast chicken cost just under $10 to make! Here’s the recipe:
Source: Divas Can Cook
1 whole fryer chicken
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
Zest of 4 lemons
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
4 cloves garlic
Salt and Pepper
1 onion, quartered
2 sprigs rosemary
2 lemons, sliced
The juice of 2 lemons
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
1. Place the whole fryer chicken onto a cutting board. Remove neck and organs if not using. Dry chicken well.
2. In a food processor, combine the lemon zest, 2 springs of rosemary, and 4 garlic cloves. blend until well incorporated.
3. Salt and pepper chicken liberally on both sides and inside cavity.
4. Stuff chicken with quartered onion, lemon slices, and remaining rosemary. You will later discard these items so they do not have to be pretty 🙂
5. Using the lemon rosemary butter you made, rub the outside of the chicken, making sure to get some butter between the skin and meat of the chicken. Coat well.
6. Squeeze the juice of two lemons over buttered chicken.
7. Bake for 45 minutes or until skin is golden brown. Cover with foil and bake 15-25 minutes more or until internal temperature is 165 degrees.